Beans, Nuts & Seeds
Cookies & Confection
Honey Peanut Spelt Bars
| Crust || Topping |
|40 g Unsalted toasted peanuts100 g Granulated sugar320 g Spelt pastry flour1/2 tsp Baking powder1/2 tsp Table salt150 g Cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces1 Large egg, lightly beaten ||120 g Light brown sugar80 g Unsalted butter4 tbsp Honey1/2 tsp Table salt2 tbsp Evaporated milk, at room temperature350 g Salted and roasted peanuts |
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 180C/350F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment.
- Finely grind peanuts and sugar. Place them in a large mixing bowl together spelt pastry flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Cut in the butter and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the lightly beaten egg and mix just until the dough begins to gather into large clumps.
- Using your fingertips, press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and about 1 inch up the sides to form a 1/4-inch-thick side crust. Using the tines of a fork, dock the crust evenly all over.
- Bake until light golden brown on the edges and the center looks dry, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool the crust on a rack.
- At the same time, bring the brown sugar, butter, honey, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Slowly and carefully add the evaporated milk and return to a boil. Remove from the heat and carefully add the nuts, stirring to coat.
- Pour the nut mixture over the crust and spread evenly with a spatula. Tilt the pan to help spread the liquid to the edges and corners. Bake until the topping has just started to bubble slowly in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the crust from the sides. Let the bars cool completely. Cut into 16 bars. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 5 days.