German & Austrian
Beans, Nuts & Seeds
Cookies & Confection
Marzipan Honey Heart Cookies
400 g All-purpose flour1 tsp Baking soda1 tsp Baking powder2 tbsp Spice Spekulatius200 g Honey100 g Caster sugar110 g Unsalted butter1 Large egg, lightly beaten200 g MarzipanWhite chocolate (optional)Dark chocolate (optional)
- Whish together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spice Spekulatius and sift onto a sheet of parchment paper. Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a large heavy saucepan heat the honey, sugar, and butter together over low heat, stirring all the time until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, Do not allow the mixture to boil. It’s important to heat the fat, sugar, and honey sufficiently to allow the sugar to dissolve, but not let the mixture come to a boil as a certain amount of evaporation will occur, making the gingerbread brittle. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Gradually stir in the sifted flour mixture. Allow the dough to cool for 5 minutes. If the pan is still very hot, transfer the warm dough to another bowl. Beat in the lightly beaten egg and then knead the dough with your hands first in the pan or bowl, then briefly on a flat surface. If the dough is too sticky to handle, knead in a little more flour until it no longer sticks to your hands.
- Divide the dough in two equal portions. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. On a flour-dusted surface, roll each portion of dough to about 6-mm/1/4-inch thick. Using a large heart cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can. Reroll the scraps, cut out more hearts. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Dust the working surface with icing sugar and roll the marzipan thinly. Using a smaller heart cookie cutter, cut out twice as few hearts than you cut out from the honey dough. Place the marzipan hearts on top of the cookie hearts, moisten the edges with water, top with the remaining cookie hearts, and press the edges well to seal.
- Bake in two batches until the cookies just start getting some color, for about 15 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack until no longer soft and fragile, then transfer to the rack to cool completely. Melt dark and white chocolates separately and drizzle them on the surface of the cookies.